I love angel food cake. It is one of my favorite desserts, especially in the summer. Topping it with fresh berries and a dollop of whip cream is a sweet dessert with less guilt.
For the Limoncello topping what you just need to do is cut up the berries you would like to use. I typically use a mix of strawberries and blueberries. Pour some limoncello over the fruit, as much or as little as you want and let the berries take a bath for the day. The longer they soak, the more they will absorb the Limoncello. If I am serving this for dessert I will typically make this in the morning for that evening. It is so good!
- 1½ cups egg whites (about 10-12 eggs)
- 1½ teaspoons pure lemon extract
- 1½ teaspoons cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- ½ cup confectioners sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (use lemon that was used for zest. Be sure to zest first before juicing)
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Generously spray or grease a 9 or 10 inch tube pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer or electric mixer with whisk attachment add to a large bowl egg white, lemon extract, cream of tartar, vanilla extract, salt and lemon zest. Stir on medium high speed until stiff peaks form, about 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce speed and gradually add in sugar until just combined.
- Gradually sprinkle in cake flour and by hand fold into mixture a little at a time. Don't over mix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35- 40 minutes until top is golden brown and springs back when touched.
- Cool completely.
- In a small bowl combine confectioners sugar. Add a little lemon juice and stir until consistency is desired. Stir in lemon zest and drizzle over cooled angel food cake.