The Countdown to Christmas Cookies series continues this week with Cranberry-Orange White Chocolate Chip Cookies. Cranberries and oranges remind me so much of the holidays. I love the scent oranges combined with fresh balsam. If I could wrap that scent up and enjoy it all year I would. Now you know what my house smells like this time of year!
These cookies were inspired by a recipe I have in my Holiday Thyme cookbook for Cranberry Orange Muffins, perfect for Christmas morning. And here is a little secret for you. Monday I will be featuring a recipe from Holiday Thyme, so stay tuned.
These cookies are soft with a hint of orange in each bite. I like to use orange extract in these cookies opposed to orange zest or even orange juice. I think it really helps bring out the flavor of the orange without being overpowering.
If you are looking for a new recipe for your cookie exchange this year, these would be an excellent choice. These are also great to add to your freezer collection of cookies so you can thaw some as you need them.
Here are a few of my tips for keeping cookies fresh whether storing or freezing them.
~ My number one rule about baking cookies, never overbake. I always go a little under the baking time than over. After pulling cookies out of the oven, let them stay on the baking sheet for another few minutes. The heat from the baking sheet will continue to bake them a little more. If you bake them to long they will become hard.
~ Use airtight containers when storing cookies. Adding a slice of bread on top helps them stay soft.
~ Always allow your cookies to cool completely before storing or freezing.
~ Wrap cookies in plastic wrap then place in freezer safe bags or containers before freezing.
~ Don’t freeze frosted cookies such as holiday cutouts. You can make the cookies ahead of time but freeze them unfrosted. When ready to eat, thaw and then frost the cookies.
- 2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure orange extract
- 1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugars using an electric mixer. Stir in eggs and orange extract. Gradually stir in flour mixture until combined. Fold in dried cranberries and white chocolate chips.
- Drop tablespoon size balls of dough about 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes until edges just begin to brown. Let cool on baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
Linking up to: Taste and Tell