Every now and then I get a huge craving for Buffalo Chicken Dip. The thing of it is, those cravings happen frequently.
Buffalo Chicken Dip and I met in January of 2010. Yes, I even remember when. It was love at first bite. My neighbor at the time made it for me when I was pregnant with those adorable twins of mine when I had a food aversion to chicken. I know you must be thinking, if I didn’t eat chicken, how could I fall for chicken dip? How could I not? That was the only chicken I could eat for the first 20 weeks of my pregnancy. I couldn’t get enough of it. Some people crave ice cream and pickles when they are pregnant, I craved Buffalo dip.
Over the weekend the craving hit me hard when I was driving. I could not stop thinking about inhaling a big bowl of this amazing dip. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted it. That is when it hit me, why not make a healthy, guilt free version of this dip. And with an half a head of cauliflower left after making the Caprese Pizza with Cauliflower Crust I thought I would substitute the chicken with cauliflower rice and use low fat or fat free cream cheese, plain Greek yogurt and some spices.
My mother was visiting when I made this dip and I told her of the concoction I was thinking of whipping up and hoping it would turn out as planned. As the kiddos napped, she watched in anticipation as I created this dip. We were both eager to try this.
The result? This dip is absolutely amazing! I think I may prefer this version more. I could not stop eating it.
The funny thing is I left the dip out while my mom and I did some shopping therapy. When I got home it was gone. I never told Mr. Mother Thyme what it was. So I asked him if he liked the dip. He said he loved it. When I told him it was made with cauliflower was surprised and he said he couldn’t even tell. He also mentioned my little guy was eating a bunch of it too. I guess you can say was a hit.
This is a great dip to serve if you are hosting a football party or even the Super Bowl. Give it a try and see if people can tell that it is cauliflower instead of chicken. I’m sure they will have a hard time figuring it out. And even if they do, I’m certain they will still enjoy it.
Coarsely grate 2 1/2 cups cauliflower “rice” from 1/2 a head of cauliflower.
Add cauliflower “rice” to a large skillet with pepper sauce and cook over medium heat until heated through.
Stir in cream cheese and stir until melted.
Add in Greek yogurt and spices and stir until heated through. Serve warm with tortilla chips or celery sticks.
- ½ head cauliflower
- ¾ cup cayenne pepper sauce (like Frank's Red Hot)
- 2 (8 ounce each) low fat or fat free cream cheese, softened
- 6 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dill weed
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
- tortilla chips for serving
- celery sticks for serving
- Remove stems and leaves from cauliflower and coarsely grate cauliflower florets to resemble rice to make 2½ cups.
- Place grated cauliflower and pepper sauce in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and cook until heated through.
- Stir in cream cheese and cook, stirring until melted then add in Greek yogurt, parsley flakes, garlic powder, dill weed and onion powder. Cook until heated through.
- Place dip in bowls and serve warm with tortilla chips or celery sticks.
Linking to: Tidy Mom