We love takeout recipes, especially when I can make it at home. I know exactly what ingredients are in each dish and I can modify it any way I would like. Plus we don’t have to run out to pick it up or wait for it to be delivered. It’s fun to create dishes that are inspired by popular takeout favorites. And often you will like the at home version more.
One of my favorite takeout dishes is Sweet and Sour Chicken but that crispy, fried chicken is obviously not that good for you. When I first started Mother Thyme I shared this recipe for Sweet and Sour Chicken. It is one of our family favorites that is on the menu often. The chicken is cooked in the skillet oppposed to fried and is tossed with lot of veggies like peppers and carrots in a sweet sauce with pineapples, soy sauce, ginger and a little brown sugar. This has actually become my favorite way to enjoy Sweet and Sour Chicken opposed to the original restaurant version. Enjoy it on a bed of coconut rice for a delicious meal.
Some of my original recipes I first shared on MT are in need of a little photo makeover. Periodically I will be updating some of those photos and revisiting them. Recently I made this Sweet and Sour Chicken for dinner so I thought I would update the photos as well. It’s fun to jump into the archives and take a look back. I also have some recipes that I am redoing to give a healthier option for. I know many of you love my recipe for Buffalo Chicken Wing Soup which I have a healthier version of that recipe coming soon.
I have not changed anything about this recipe. I love it just the way it is and I think it doesn’t need any modification. If desired you could use only 1 tablespoon vegetable oil plus a generous amount of cooking spray to reduce some fat and calorie intake.
I have included the recipe here as well but if you would like to see the original post you can find a link for it below.
- 1½ pounds boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup green pepper, cut in to strips
- 1 cup red pepper, cut in to strips
- 1 cup carrot strips
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 8oz can pineapple chunks in juice
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and add to skillet. Cook chicken stirring occasionally until all sides are brown and is cooked thoroughly.
- Add peppers, carrots and garlic and cook until slightly tender, about 5 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch with soy sauce. Add to skillet with pineapple with juice, vinegar, sugar and ginger. Cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Serve over white rice or Coconut Rice.
Original- Sweet and Sour Chicken