I love being impromptu. Before kids, I used to be all the time. Some of my best memories are things that I planned or done last minute or without much thought. Eight years ago I was living in Upstate New York. I had a wild thought of moving to Florida. Within two months of that initial thought, I found a job, packed my bags and dog and headed south for fresh start. I left behind all my friends and everything that was familiar to me, but I was looking for change. I’m glad I did because sometimes in life you just need to go for it. If you don’t, you’ll never know what could have been.
After having the twins almost three years ago, I got caught up in being a mom and putting myself last. Now I feel more comfortable leaving them on occasion, and actually welcome the break. Last week I decided to plan a quick getaway and head down to New York City tomorrow.. Of course, there is a little business involved in going, but I have plenty of time to eat my way through the city while I am there. I have almost every minute planned while I am there, from hopefully meeting up with one of my blogging buddies, attending an event, catching a show on Broadway, and of course a little retail therapy. If you follow me on Instagram, I’m sure I’ll be posting pics of my little twenty-four hour marathon in New York City.
This month for Secret Recipe Club I was assigned the awesome blog Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom. From awesome craft ideas that I could even make like the No Sew Pillow which I am totally trying, to fabulous my kind of recipes like Healthy Chocolate Dip and Buffalo Chicken Bites, I had a lot of fun visiting Jamie’s blog and look forward to staying in touch and seeing her latest creations.
It has been far to long since I made a batch of rice krispie treats. When I saw the recipe for Chocolate, Coconut and Almond Rice Krispie Treats, I knew I had to try those. Almond Joy used to be one of my favorite candy bars. Like Jamie mentions, these rice krispie treats are like Almond Joy only in rice krispie form and they definitely are.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 10 ounce bag mini marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1¼ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup almond slivers
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and still until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in almond extract.
- Stir in Rice Krispies, 1 cup shredded coconut, and ¼ cup almond slivers and stir until combined.
- Place mixture in prepared baking pan. Evenly press mixture into baking pan using a sheet of wax paper. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup shredded coconut, ¼ cup almond slivers and mini chocolate chips.
- Let cool.
- Cut into squares and serve. Store in an airtight container.