An easy recipe for Cheesy Basil Pesto Garlic Bread — simple and so delicious!
Oh my goodness, this bread!
I swear I could this entire loaf alone just as a meal.
Nothing beats fresh garlic bread. Add cheese, even better. Add basil pesto instead of garlic butter and it’s the best.
I could eat basil pesto year round, but I love it even more during the summer when my herb garden is overflowing with basil. I’m in basil heaven. I add it on just about everything. From Caprese Salads, to this delicious Cheesy Basil Pesto Garlic Bread, pesto makes a dish so much better.
The best pesto is homemade. I have tried a few kinds of the store bought jar pesto, and it’s just not the same. With a few simple ingredients like pine nuts, freshly grated Parmesan, garlic, olive oil, and of course basil you can easily it yourself. If you don’t have pine nuts, you can substitute walnuts instead. This is something I do once in a while since pine nuts can be a little pricey, however I do recommend using pine nuts instead. If you belong to a wholesale club like BJ’s, Sam’s or Costco, you can usually get a decent size bag of pine nuts for about $11.00, a lot cheaper than the small little jars they charge you for in the grocery stores. A little goes a long way, so having pine nuts in your pantry is a great staple item, especially if you love pesto.
This Cheesy Basil Pesto Garlic Bread starts with a fresh loaf of bakery style Italian Bread and topped with fresh Basil pesto and chopped with Italian style shredded cheese. After baking for about 10-12 minutes in 400 degree oven, you have some of the best tasting garlic bread you will enjoy all summer long. Enjoy with a crisp glass of white wine, a slice of this bread and a simple salad and dinner is served.
- 1 loaf of fresh bakery Italian Bread
- ½ cup of prepared Basil Pesto
- 2 cups Italian-Style Shredded cheese
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice bread lengthwise in half.
- Spread each slice generously with basil pesto. Sprinkle with cheeses and a pinch of black pepper.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for about 10-12 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Slice and serve warm.