Oranges are so symbolic to me during the holiday season. They remind me of visiting Colonial Williamsburg during the holidays and seeing all the beautiful wreaths loaded with fruit on the doorways. If you have ever been to Colonial Williamsburg you know what a beautiful place it is, especially during the holidays.
|Some of the beautiful wreaths from Colonial Williamsburg from our last visit.
The twins have gotten their first colds but you certainly wouldn’t know it from how they are acting. They are so good. I have been trying to give them orange slices and orange juice to give them vitamin C and they haven’t been too interested. I decided to create a muffin that incorporated fresh orange zest and juice in to them, and they turned out fantastic.
The smell of fresh oranges wafts throughout the house as you make them; it is so aromatic. If you love the smell of oranges, you’ll love these muffins just for the smell alone.
These muffins are moist and delicious with just the right amount of orange. If you are having guests staying at your home over the holidays, these would be perfect to serve at breakfast.
Orange Yogurt Muffins
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 16 muffins 1x
- 1/2 cup orange zest plus 1 teaspoon (for glaze) from about 4 large oranges. Squeeze oranges for 1/4 cup juice, divided (2 tablespoons for muffins, 2 tablespoons for glaze)
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (from reserve above)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (from reserve above)
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat combine 1/2 cup orange zest, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons orange juice and butter and heat until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted. Stir, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer in a large bowl combine eggs, yogurt, milk and orange zest mixture and stir on medium speed until blended. Gradually add in flour mixture until combined.
- Pour in to lined muffin tin 2/3 full and bake for 20-25 minutes until tester comes out clean. Cool slightly in pan, and remove to wire rack to cool.
- Combine confectioners sugar, 2 tablespoons orange juice, 1 teaspoon orange zest and a pinch of salt and stir until well combined. Drizzle on top of muffins or dip tops of muffins in to glaze. Let glaze set.