With just a few supplies you can easily whip up this darling DIY faux mini apple pie! This is so cute to add into your fall decor, make for a gift, add to a tiered tray or on a coffee bar!
I feel like I start by saying this call the time, but how cute is this mini apple pie? Not only is it so cute, it’s so easy to make too! Once you start making these cuties it’s hard to stop! They are fun to make and great to add into your fall decor, make as a gift, add to a tiered tray or your coffee bar!
- MINI PIE DISH – I got mine at HomeGoods. I love the mini ceramic dishes. The set of 4 was $7.99.
- CAR SPONGE FROM DOLLAR TREE
- DECOART PAINT IN THE COLOR COCOA
- GLOVE TO TOSS SPONGE WITH PAINT
- HOT GLUE
- SPRAY GLUE – I got mine from Dollar Tree
- MUSLIN – I coffee stain my muslin (see below for instructions)
- GLITTER – I use GLITTER in the color Crystal from Hobby Lobby and RECOLLECTIONS EXTRA FINE GLITTER in the color Snow from Michaels
- ACCENTS – I made a tag using clickable stamps from Michaels and a bow made with twine
- OPTIONAL – cinnamon or essential oil
These are so easy to make!
- STEP 1: Cut the sponge into “bite-size” pieces. Cut enough pieces to fill the pie dish.
- STEP 2: Place pieces on a disposable plate, and toss with a little of the paint until coated. Place on a clean plate and set aside to dry.
- STEP 3: Once dry add hot glue to the bottom of the pie dish. Add some of the pieces to the bottom of the pie dish. Hot glue pieces on top to create the “pie filling”
- OPTIONAL – Add cinnamon or essential oil in the sponge to give it a scent.
- STEP 4: Tear pieces of muslin fabric into strips. I did 3 strips each directions and lattice it. Use hot glue to attach the ends around the pie dish. I also added a few dabs of hot glue to the muslin in the center as well.
- STEP 5: Trim the excess muslin.
- STEP 6: Tear a piece of muslin about 1/2 inch wide to create a “crust”. I then went around the edge in sections, added a bead of hot glue, and attached the muslin “crust”, pleating it as I went around.
- STEP 7: Spray the pie with spray glue and dust with the glitters. Then spray additional glue on top to seal in the glitter.
- STEP 8: I took a piece of torn muslin and stamped it with the word apple and hot glued it to the pie along with a double twine bow.
Easy peasy! This took me under 10 minutes to make, not including drying time of the sponge. I set that in the hot sun and it dried really fast.
This is a quick and easy craft and turns out so cute!
HOW I GRUNGE MUSLIN
I stain my muslin in coffee to give it more of a primitive/rustic look. To do this, I take 2 quarts warm water plus 1 cup instant coffee in a large bucket and mix it until dissolved.
Next I dip my muslin in the coffee mixture and then ring it out. I do this a few times until I get the desired look. Then I set it aside to dr
I take the left over coffee mixture and pour it into a spray bottle and use that to spray on fabrics to make them look grungy.
Another way to do it is take 2 cups warm water with 1/2 cup of instant coffee, mix it together and pour into a spray bottle. Then I’ll spray it on fabric. Let it absorb for a few minutes then dab it off. I’ll do this a few times until I get the desired look.
If you make one of these darling faux blueberry pies I’d love to see! Snap a picture and tag me on Instagram at motherthyme!