The weather outside might be frightful, but it’s warm and cozy inside!
After months of seasonal decorating, going from fall to Halloween to Christmas, I love to slowly transition my home back after the holidays with winter decor. Plus where I live in Buffalo, it’s still very much winter so I like to decorate with winter decor to make my home cozy and inviting.
5 Easy & Affordable Ways To Make Your Home Cozy For Winter
- Keep out your neutral Christmas decor – Use snowy greens and neutral color picks and stems. If you don’t have them, add them to your list to pick up next season. I always love picking these items up during after Christmas sales. Most of the picks and stems I have for my winter decor I got from Michaels after Christmas last year in their mystery box. They were selling three huge bundles of holiday stems for $10.00. It was a deal I couldn’t pass up!
- Keep up a lit, undecorated slim/pencil tree for a cozy winter look – I have one of my slim pencil trees still up in the kitchen. I love the cozy glow. If you don’t have one, wait and grab one after Christmas or when it’s on sale when you can get one for a deal. I love keeping it up for the month of January and sometimes even into February as well.
- Small flocked or lit/ undecorated trees – I have 6 small 3-ish feet flocked trees that I got years ago at Joanns. I love to use them and tuck them throughout my home for winter. I have a few flocked trees in my living room, one in a basket next to the fireplace and another on the other side of the room. I also have small lit trees in my entry that I used for Christmas still up for winter. I love the cozy glow and they are very wintry. It’s a great transition from Christmas to winter.
- Candles and lanterns – Honestly this is one of my decorating tips I use year round. I love decorating with candles and lanterns year round for a homey and inviting look.
- Cozy blankets/throws – Cozy blankets and throws that have texture are great additions to add a cozy wintry feel into your home. Drape them on furniture, your ottoman or drape in baskets. Not only are they add a cozy feel and texture to a space they are practical to snuggle up with on cold winter nights.
I love to shop my home and use what I have. And if there is something I may want to use for “winter” decor I look for it when seasonal Christmas decor is on sale or after Christmas sales.
I recently found a cute snowflake pillow at Kohls during their after Christmas sale that is perfect for winter decor that I picked up to use in my entry. So always be on the lookout for affordable winter decor during sales, or even thrift stores!
I love the thrill of the hunt and decorating my home on a budget so I’m always on the lookout for decor that I can use the following season. Recently I shared some great affordable finds I picked up from Mud Pie for fall, Halloween and even a bit of Christmas. Even though it’s packed away now, my future self will be happy I got it now!
Watch how I decorated my living room for winter here. It was so fun creating a cozy winter look in my living room shopping my home and using decor I already had on hand.