|The view from the kitchen.|
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups pureed sweet potatoes
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut in to large wedges.
- Lightly toss in vegetable oil and salt and place on a baking sheet.
- Cook in a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes turning half way until tender.
- Remove and let cool. Put wedges in food process and blend until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 9x5 inch loaf pans and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on low speed cream together shortening, sugar, eggs and sweet potatoes.
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and cloves.
- Gradually add flour mixture sweet potato mixture alternating with milk until all combined.
- Pour equal amounts in to loaf pans.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until tester inserted in to center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack in loaf pan until cool. Run butter knife around side of loaf pan, turn upside down to remove loaf. Set on wire rack to continue to cool.
- Stir confectioners sugar and maple syrup until creamy. Drizzle over loaves and let dry.
You may cut the glaze in half and only use ½ cup confectioners sugar and ¼ cup maple syrup if desired.