Easy and delicious Red Velvet Pancakes topped with a Cream Cheese Glaze are a special treat to enjoy during the holidays or any time of year.
Holiday Breakfast Ideas — Week 1
News flash! Christmas Day is only 7 weeks away!
Like I mentioned yesterday, Christmas is going to be here before we know it. The Christmas tunes are already on the radio and I have seen some houses already decking the halls.
I haven’t gone as far as starting to decorate…yet.
One thing I have started is my menu planning and even a little shopping. I might as well get things done when I can.
To help you with your holiday menu planning, each Wednesday for the next six weeks I will be sharing with you some of my favorite holiday breakfast ideas that are good to make for Christmas or to enjoy on the weekends leading up to the big day.
Red velvet is one of my holiday favorites. I thought my Red Velvet Pancakes topped with a Cream Cheese Glaze would be the perfect holiday breakfast to kick off this series. These pancakes are like eating cake for breakfast, just in a pancake form. It’s like dessert for breakfast, my kind of meal. The Cream Cheese Glaze is good enough to eat with just a spoon. These are the perfect pancakes to make for the family before heading out to enjoy some holiday activities.
What you need
All purpose flour
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
Red food color
Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Glaze
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 10 pancakes 1x
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup toasted coconut flakes (optional)
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 2–3 tablespoons milk
- Grease a large large skillet or griddle with cooking spray and preheat over medium heat.
- In a large bowl mix flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl stir milk, sugar, butter, egg, food coloring and vanilla until blended. Stir into dry ingredients until combined.
- Pour desired amount of batter onto preheated skillet. Cook until top begins to have pinhole size bubbles. Flip with a spatula until cooked.
Cream Cheese Glaze
- Add cream cheese and butter to a medium microwave safe bowl and heat for about 25-30 seconds until soft and easy to stir.
- Whisk in confectioners sugar. Gradually add in milk 1 tablespoon at a time until glaze is creamy but not to thick or thin in consistency and runs smoothly off a spoon.
- Drizzle glaze over pancakes and serve.
To toast coconut, spread coconut flakes on a small baking sheet and toast in a 350 degree oven for 3-5 minutes until golden brown. Sprinkle on top of pancakes and glaze.