Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
Skip the store bought rotisserie chicken and whip up shredded chicken right in your Instant Pot in less than 30 minutes! Perfect for salads, tacos, or any recipe that you need shredded chicken for!
One thing I LOVE using my Instant Pot for is to make shredded chicken. I know it might sound silly, but think how often you use or need shredded chicken? It’s great to have some cooked chicken on hand for the week to toss in salads, tacos, or any recipe that you need shredded chicken.
For years I would make my shredded chicken for the week in my oven. You could probably go back to numerous recipes of mine that calls for cooked chicken and I would give you this long winded method, which I still love by the way on baking the chicken. It’s how I always did it. I’d bake it at 375 for about 40-45 minutes. Once it was done I’d let it cool a bit, then shred it up!
Then I finally dusted off the good old Instant Pot and started making shredded chicken in there, and I’ve never looked back.
Not only is making shredded chicken in the Instant Pot super easy, the chicken is so tender and juicy too! Sometimes baking chicken can dry it out. Not in the Instant Pot! And that’s why I love it so much! I just toss in some chicken, broth (or you could even use water), some seasoning and before you know it you have cooked tender and juicy chicken ready to go!
Cook from frozen!
What is even better is you can cook the chicken from frozen! Yes, no worries if you forget to defrost the chicken, which I tend to do a lot! Just toss in some frozen chicken breasts into your Instant Pot along with the broth and seasoning. You just need to add on about 10-15 minutes additional cook time (depending on how much chicken you are cooking).
You know what is even better, you can freeze cooked shredded chicken! Just shred it up, and let it cool completely, then store in freezer bags. Get out as much air as possible and pop in freezer bags. When ready to use, just thaw in the refrigerator and you have shredded chicken ready to go!
So the next time you want to whip up some shredded (or even sliced) chicken for salads, taco, or whatever recipe that you need shredded chicken for, before you run to the grocery store to purchase already shredded chicken or grab a rotisserie chicken, make it right in the Instant Pot! You’ll get a lot more chicken for your buck PLUS one less trip to the store!
Some of you asked about the choppers I use in the video. They are Pampered Chef Salad Choppers. They are great for salads and for chopping chicken! You can order them HERE. 🙂 (consultant link)Print
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2–2 pounds total chicken)
- 1 C chicken broth (or water)
- 1 1/2 T Everyday Herb Seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- Place chicken, broth and seasoning in Instant Pot. Poke each chicken breasts a few times with a fork so the yummy flavors infuse in the chicken. Add a pinch of salt and pepper if desired.
- Cover and close Instant Pot. Turn valve to sealing.
- Click on the manual button and set for 8 minutes on high pressure. If your Instant Pot or pressure cooker does not have a manual button, use the chicken button and adjust time for 8 minutes. Make sure it’s still on high pressure.
- Once chicken has come to pressure, it will cook for 8 minutes. Once it’s cooked for 8 minutes it will beep. Allow for the pressure to naturally release for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the pressure has naturally released, switch the value to venting to vent out any remaining steam. Once all the steam has released, the valve will pop down and the Instant Pot will unlock and you can open it.
- If desired, check chicken to make sure it’s done and is 165 degrees.
- Remove chicken from Instant Pot and place in a bowl. Let it cool for a few minutes if needed until it can be easily handled. Shred chicken using a hand mixer (or stand mixer), 2 forks, or with salad chopper. The chicken will easily shred. Shred to desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper and even an additional pinch of Everyday Herb Seasoning.
- If storing in the refrigerator, allow to cool completely before adding to a storage container.
You can find the Everyday Herb Seasoning recipe on www.motherthyme.com. Alternatively you can season with 1/2-1 teaspoon salt, 1/4-1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary or thyme.
If making shredded chicken with tacos, season with taco seasoning. You can find the Taco Seasoning recipe on www.motherthyme.com.
FROM FROZEN CHICKEN: Add frozen chicken to Instant Pot along with broth and seasoning. Add and additional 10-15 minutes to cook time. So instead of 8 minutes, go 18-23 minutes (depending on size of chicken breasts) PLUS naturally release 10-15 minutes as instructed.
TO FREEZE SHREDDED CHICKEN: Once chicken is shredded and cooled, place desired amount in freezer safe storage bags or containers. Get as much air as possible. If using freezer bags, lay shredded chicken flat in bag. Store in the freezer for 3 months. When ready to use, thaw in the refrigerator.