An easy recipe for Cannoli Cream Poke Cake topped with a sweet and delicious ricotta whipped cream, mini chocolate chips and a light dusting of powdered sugar.
I have a weakness for a good cannoli. Whenever I stop in a bakery and see cannoli I can’t help but get one (or two). When it comes to cannoli it’s all about the sweet creamy filling! It’s so good I could eat it with just a spoon!
This delicious Cannoli Cream Poke Cake is everything you love about cannoli filling blended into one easy and delicious cake. The cake is simply a white cake mix filled with sweetened condensed milk that makes the cake super moist and yummy.
The star of the show is the delicious sweet ricotta whipped cannoli cream that makes this cake irresistible! I wouldn’t blame you if you just ate this frosting alone! It’s so good!
Not only is the ricotta whipped cream addicting but it’s so easy too! All you need is some heavy whipping cream, some whole milk ricotta cheese, powdered sugar and a little orange zest which I always like to add. You definitely want to use whole milk ricotta. Using part skim is too watery and the consistency isn’t the same.
Pouring sweetened condensed milk into the holes of the cake and letting it sit and absorb into the cake takes a simple box cake mix to another level. If you’ve never tried it before you’ll have to try it to see! It’s heavenly!
If you’re a cannoli lover or know someone who is this is definitely one cake you’ll want to try! It’s the perfect sweet treat for any occasion!
Cannoli Cream Poke Cake
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 16 1x
- 1 box white cake mix
- Water (vegetable oil and eggs per package instructions)
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9×13 baking pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix cake mix, water, vegetable oil and eggs until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and spread evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake for about 15 minutes then while the cake is still warm poke holes using the back of a wooden spoon, straw or similar object over entire cake about 1/2 inch apart.
- Pour condensed milk over cake and refrigerate until cake is cool completely.
- Add heavy cream, ricotta, 1/2 cup sugar and orange zest into a large mixing bowl and beat on high with an electric mixer or stand mixer until stiff peaks form, about 4 minutes.
- Spread frosting evenly on top of cake.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips on top and dust with remaining 1 tablespoon powdered sugar.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
This recipe used Duncan Hines Classic White Cake mix with 1 cup water, 1/3 cup vegetable oil and 3 large egg whites.
Wilton Cake Release or Wilton Bake Easy spray works great for cakes that don’t stick!
Using whole milk ricotta is a must. If you’re ricotta seems watery it’s recommended that you strain it first to remove any excess liquid.
More Yummy Cakes!
Rum Cake with Butter Rum Glaze
Coconut Cream Poke Cake
Pistachio Bundt Cake