Moist and delicious Coconut Cream Poke Cake filled with coconut cream pudding and topped with a creamy whipped topping.
I have a confession to make. I love those little Pepperidge Farm cakes. You know the ones that you see in the freezer section at the grocery store. Not only are those cake cute but they remind me of my beloved great-grandmother, especially the Coconut Layer Cake. I remember she always had them. Every time I have a slice of Pepperidge Farm cake I always think of her.
This moist and delicious Coconut Cream Poke Cake reminds me of the flavors of the Pepperidge Farm Coconut Layer Cake. It starts with a simple white cake mix dressed up with some coconut flakes and coconut extract. It’s filled with coconut cream pudding and topped with creamy whipped topping and sweetened coconut flakes. It’s super easy to make but tastes like it just came from a bakery!
This Coconut Cream Poke Cake uses coconut extract in the cake and instant coconut cream pudding for the filling. I like to keep the whipped topping plain as I think it balances the flavors of the coconut in the filling and cake without being overwhelming. You could even top the cake with toasted coconut flakes for some extra texture and crunch.
Coconut cakes always make me think of Easter and spring. It’s light and fresh and full of flavor. If you’re a coconut lover or you know someone who is you need to try this sensational cake. It’s perfect for any spring celebration that everyone will love!
- 1 box white cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs per package instructions
- 3 teaspoons coconut extract
- ½ cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 2 (3.4 ounce) boxes instant coconut cream pudding
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup sweetened coconut flakes
- Prepare Cake
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x13 baking pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix cake mix, water, vegetable oil,eggs and coconut extract until combined.
- Gently stir in coconut flakes.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and spread evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake for about 15 minutes then while the cake is still warm poke holes using the back of a wooden spoon or similar object over entire cake about ½ inch apart.
- Allow cake to cool completely before filling.
- Prepare Filling
- In a large bowl mix together pudding mixes and milk and immediately pour all over cake and spread evenly and make sure all the pudding seeps into the holes.
- Refrigerate cake until pudding is set.
- Prepare Topping
- Place heavy cream and sugar in large bowl.
- Using an electric mixer beat cream and sugar together on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Spread whipped topping evenly over entire cake.
- Sprinkle with coconut flakes.
- Keep cake refrigerated.
For some extra texture top the cake with toasted coconut flakes. Place coconut flakes in a medium skillet over medium heat and stir occasionally until golden and toasted.
Wilton Cake Release or Wilton Bake Easy spray works great for cakes that don't stick!
More Yummy Cakes!